The dentistry, oral & maxillofacial team is focused on establishing regenerative approaches in cats and dogs including:
- Regeneration of mandibular bone in dogs after resective oncologic surgery or for non-union fractures.
- Stem cell therapy for cats with chronic gingivostomatitis, a severe and debilitating immune-mediated disorder.
- The incorporation of additive manufacturing (3D printing) and regenerative approaches to maxillofacial trauma repair.
Members: Boaz Arzi, Frank Verstraete, Kyriacos Athanasiou
The cardiovascular team is focused on novel strategies to repair heart tissue, valves and small vessels. Strategies include stem cell therapy and tissue engineering.
Members: David Simpson, Kent Leach, Eduardo Silva
The Inflammatory and Infectious disease team is focused on immunomodulation by MSCs for the treatment of acute and chronic inflammatory lesions as well as the systemic inflammatory sequela of some chronic infectious diseases such as FIV, SIV, and HIV.
Members: Dori Borjesson, Amir Kol, Satya Dandekar
Members: Chris Murphy, Paul Russell, Steve Hollingsworth
The orthopedic team is focused on the treatment of acute and chronic orthopedic injuries. Projects include:
- Treatment of chronic active and acute laminitis.
- Treatment of acute suspensory ligament desmitis (branches).
- Development of clinical trials for the treatment of equine foot lesions including distal deep flexor tendon and collateral body ligaments.
Members: Larry Galuppo, Claudia Sonder, Clare Yellowley
The gastrointestinal team is focused on the treatment inflammatory bowel disease.
Members: Dori Borjession, Stanley Marks, Amir Kol
The wound healing team is focused on the treatment of chronic non-healing wounds in horses.
Active research centers around the development of an experimentally induced foreleg wound model to mimic non-healing wounds (proud flesh) in horses and keloid formation in humans and determining if cellular therapy using “pre-conditioned” stem cells facilitates wound repair.
Members: Dori Borjesson, Claudia Sonder, Larry Galuppo
The neurologic team is focused on spinal cord regeneration and repair and treatment of inflammatory brain disease using stem cells
Members: Mathieu Spriet, Dori Borjesson, Jan Nolta, Maya Sieber-Blum, Beverley Sturges, Aijun Wang